Very good performance can be achieved at ANY computer running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10 (both 32- and 64-bit versions).
To achieve best results we recommend to use (Autumn 2017):
- Processors: Intel i7 Quad-, Six-, or Eight-core types, models with higher clock frequency are better. For extremely high requirements we recommend 6-core i7-990X Intel Processor Extreme Edition or more recent 4-core i7-7700Х, i7-7740Х, or even 10-core i9-7900X. In all cases 14 nm lithography is preferable.
- AMD processors can also be used.
- High FSB (Front side bus) speed. Modern Intel processors support 2666 MHz FSB and higher (DDR4 memory).
- DDR3 and DDR4 fast RAM. Modern computers typically have at least 4 GB. More RAM is better (mainly because Windows OS is more responsible).
- High-resolution large monitors are recommended. Resolution 1280x1024 is OK, but higher resolutions increase productivity of work very significantly. 1600x1200, 1920x1080 and similar may be optimal for the moment.
- Multi-Monitor configurations are supported
- 4K resolution monitors are supported starting with v. 11.65.
Starting from Version 10.48:
OptiLayer software follows the highest modern software standards.
- 64-bit versions of all three modules OptiLayer, OptiChar, and OptiRE;
- Multi-instance modes of all three programs. It is possible to start several copies (instances) of any of these programs simultaneously. Similar to MS Office inactive instances are automatically minimized but can perform background tasks. Different instances should use different Problem directories and respective checks are implemented in order to avoid sharing conflicts.
If you have problems with installation, please read our Frequently Asked Questions (Hardware).
Problem with USB3:
USB3 controllers at some modern computers may suspend communications with the hardware key in some quite rare cases. This problem can be easily fixed: just try other USB ports! It is better to use not USB3, but classical USB2 ports. In cases if your computer has only USB3 connections, you can use any cheap USB hub that will automatically downgrade USB3 to USB2.